The statement that women have more complex brains than men has been scientifically backed up.
Professor Jim Horne, director of the Sleep Research Center at Loughborough University says that this conclusion means that they need more sleep. He explains that if women are not getting enough sleep, it can affect their mental health, which leads to depression and anger. For men, poor sleep doesn’t lead to these feelings.
Professor Jim Horne, has a detailed explanation on this topic, emphasizing the importance of sleeping. In his famous book A Journey Through the Science of Sleep, the major function of sleep is defined as allowing the brain to recover and repair itself. During deep sleep, the cortex disengages from the senses and goes into recovery mode. Cortex is the part of the brain which plays a key role in memory, language, thought, and consciousness.
After focusing on certain tasks during the day, the brain needs to recharge. The more concentration you use, the more your brain needs rest to recover. Logically, you need more sleep. Women tend to be more organized and capable of doing different things simultaneously. As they are flexible, they use more of their brain compared to men. Therefore, women require more sleep.
Additionally, women’s brains are wired differently from the men’s and are more complex, so they need at least 20 minutes more sleep.
Getting a good night’s sleep is very important, so we all need 8 hours of sleep, but Professor Horne says that women need more than 8 hours.
What about tired men?
Professor Horne says that men who work in intellectual activities and decision-making jobs, need more sleep than an average man, but still not as much as an average woman.
How to improve your sleep quality?
- It is very important to set a sleep routine. In this way, the brain will recognize the need to slow down and relax.
- You should avoid stimulating foods, like coffee, cacao, and sugar before you go sleep. These foods can interfere your sleep.
- Meditation relaxes your brain. This mental activity is more than necessary for women, as their brain works harder.
- Yoga poses prepare the body for good rest.
- You need 1-3 mg of melatonin supplements an hour before you go to sleep, as it controls your sleep and wake cycles.