There are millions of people that are using Vaseline every day, and they use it to treat chapped lips, congestion or skin issues. But, as it turns out, this product is not as beneficial as we initially thought.
Vaseline is a byproduct of the process of oil refining, which means that it is not eco-friendly, and that is an unsustainable resource. It was discovered in the mid 19th century, and it was used for the coating of the bottom of oil rigs.
Today, it is added in many different products, from baby products to lotions, because it has the ability to create a protective barrier on the skin, which will preserve the moisture of the skin, by blocking its pores. It also locks dirt, heat, bacteria and the ability of the skin to heal itself.
The reasons why you need to stop using Vaseline:
- It can cause estrogen dominance
Estrogen dominance comes as a result of high levels of estrogen and low levels of progesterone. It is related to autoimmune issues, infertility, allergies and menstrual problems. Vaseline contains xenoestrogens, which are known to increase the estrogen problems.
- It is packed with harmful hydrocarbons
The human skin does not have the ability to metabolize petroleum jelly, and it remains on the skin until it wears off, which prevents the human body from gaining any benefits whatsoever from this substance. What is more, a study that was conducted in 2011 showed that Vaseline contains mineral oil hydrocarbons, which are the greatest contaminants for the human body.
- It promotes the breakdown of collagen
Because it can block the skin, Vaseline prevents it from breathing and absorbing the essential nutrients, which can in time lead to collagen breakdown.
- It leads to pneumonia
There are some rare cases, where the inhalation of small doses of petroleum jelly can accumulate in your lungs, and cause a condition that is known as lipid pneumonia. In this case, the body cannot metabolize the substance and it can cause a severe lung inflammation.
But there are some effective and natural alternatives to Vaseline:
- Beeswax – it can be added to your beauty products and it will soften and nourish your skin.
- Coconut oil – coconut oil has a wide array of health benefits and it is a rich source of lauric acid, anti-inflammatory compounds a, d fatty acids which will support the health of your skin.
- Cocoa butter – it is packed with antioxidants and fatty acids which can rejuvenate your skin, and slow down the process of aging.
- Shea butter – shea butter contains vitamins A, E and F, and some beneficial fatty acids, which will treat inflammation and boost the production of collagen.