Not a lot of people know that they can freeze eggs. In fact, eggs can last longer when they are frozen, and the taste of frozen eggs is much similar to the taste when they are thawed.
How to freeze eggs?
You need to take an ice cube tray, crack the eggs and then add the eggs in the tray. Do not use any sprays or oils. Place the tray in your freezer and then freeze the eggs until they are frozen. This takes approximately two hours. When they are frozen, you can take them out of the container. If they are stuck and you are having trouble getting them out, you can let them sit in warm water for 60 seconds and they will pop out. You can then store them in a freezer safe bag, and you can keep the eggs for a year.
When you need the eggs, place them at a room temperature and you can then use them for anything you want. But, if you want them for recipes that require egg yolks or egg whites, you need to freeze them separated, by freezing the yolk into one ice cube spot and the white in another spot.
Other foods you should freeze
Eggs are not the only food that you should freeze, there are some other ingredients as well. You should freeze the following foods:
- Homemade stock – Store two tablespoons of stock and use it later in order to prepare a sauce or to reheat leftovers.
- Coffee – You can get a strong iced coffee, just by storing coffee in ice cube tray, and later adding the cubes to your coffee.
- Buttermilk and milk – If you often times find yourself with leftover buttermilk or milk, place it in your freezer so that it won’t spoil. This way, you are making sure that you always have some when you need it.
- Lemon juice – Lemon juice is an ingredient that is required in many recipes. By freezing lemon juice, you will make sure that you always have some of it when you need it.
- Fresh herbs in olive oil – In order to preserve the flavor of the herbs, and to use them all year, you can store them in an ice cube tray with olive oil.
- Grated ginger – Ginger is extremely healthy, and you should always have some of it at hand. Peel a fresh ginger, grate it and then store it in your freezer in ice cube trays.