Thyme is one of the healthiest herbs of the mint plant family.
It originates from the Mediterranean areas and it is also called thymus vulgari. Thyme is mostly used as a cooking ingredient, but it also has health and beauty benefits.
This herb has powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, which kill bacteria and protect your body from viruses.
Keep in mind that you should use thyme oil with precaution and in moderate amounts.
Thyme promotes the production of white blood cells and improves your immune system at the same time. It acts as a natural antibiotic and diuretic which detoxifies your body.
Also, thyme has very pleasant aroma. The name itself comes from the Greek word ”thymos,” which means ”to perfume.”
Thyme improves your overall health. It effectively treats respiratory problems, colds, the flu, asthma, sore throat, bronchitis, and laryngitis.
The best method to use thyme is through inhalation to treat sore throat, sinus infection, chest pain, and other flu-like symptoms. If you have been experiencing gingivitis, thrushes, and other mouth or gum infections, try using thyme as natural antiseptic mouthwash.
According to a study, thyme oil encourages mucus and treats dry coughs. Moreover, thyme improves your mood, prevents depression, fatigue, and sleep disorders.
The list of health benefits of thyme does’t stop here. This powerful herb improves your blood circulation, regulates your blood pressure, improves your memory and mental performance.
According to a French study, thyme can destroy 90% of microbes in just 3 hours.
Other thyme uses
- Acts as powerful diuretic and treats urinary tract and bladder infections.
- Helps in the treatment of vaginitis and candida.
- Heals nail fungus.
- Relieves rheumatic pain, sports injuries, muscle tension, and reduces the symptoms of sciatica, sprains, gout, and arthritis.
- Relieves insect bites and soothes irritated skin.
- Treats athlete’s foot.
- Treats acne and helps you remove warts naturally.
- Improves the quality of your hair.
- Regulates the menstrual cycle.
- Heals skin injuries.
- Prevents DNA damage.