You want to lose weight and keep your health, then for sure, you should start the DASH diet. DASH stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension which has been created to battle against high blood pressure. This diet is considered to be the best one when health is considered according to the U.S News & World Report magazine.
THE DASH DIET
As per a conducted study by the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, the DASH diet reduces blood pressure and LDL cholesterol in the blood. Thanks to its use scientists have come to the conclusion that the implementation of this diet can prevent heart failure, strokes, and diabetes. Plus, it helps in regulating body weight.
In the case of weight loss, you should use the same diet, but you need to take in smaller portions. For men recommended servings are 2000 calories a day, and for women, 1600 calories a day.
The scores of this diet are very high, namely 4.5 out of 5 points in the category of health, and 3.3 points in the weight loss category.
This diet was inspired by vegetarian people who commonly have normal blood pressure. Plus, it is based on onlow-fat dairy products, whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and oilseeds. It does not contain any sweet foods and a very little salt.
In this diet, all vitamins, minerals and plant fibers which are vital for the health of the body are included in this regime. When this diet is concerned there is no hunger or restriction in the food you take in, but all you need is to follow the basic rules.
BASIC RULES OF THE DASH DIET
- Consume 5 servings that are not over 215 grams.
- Drink plenty of fluids (water, juice, or green tea), 2 liters a day.
- Quit smoking.
- Exclude from your diet soft drinks, alcohol, processed foods, pastries, and canned fish.
- Consume more vegetables, seeds, beans, and grains. If you are not vegetarian, then consume lean meat.
- You are allowed only 2 snacks a day, but taken only in case of hunger and in small bites.
- Try to limit the intake of salt and if you can exclude sugar from your diet.
The taken quantities of food depend on the purpose for which you implement this diet, whether it is for health reasons or for losing weight.
The ideal food combination of daily DASH diet:
- 3 servings of fruit
*** 1 serving = 1 fruit of 150 grams
- 5 servings of vegetables
*** 1serving = half a cup of cooked vegetables
- 5 serving of protein
*** 200 grams of lean meat
- 5 servings of whole grain
*** 1 serving = 1 slice of wholemeal bread
- Half a portion of fat
*** 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 5 servings oleaginous per week
*** Almonds, walnuts, and hazelnuts
***2 liters a day containing water, juice, or green tea
Have in mind that you should avoid all unhealthy products. In the beginning, you may find this difficult, but when it turns into a habit, the desire for their consumption is completely gone.
A DAILY DASH MENU
*** For 1600 calories
- 40 grams/2 slices of toasted whole bread plus 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 150 grams/1 apple
- Unsweetened coffee or tea
- 100 grams of steamed zucchini
- Grated carrots plus 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 100 grams/1roasted poultry leg
- 20 grams/1 slice of wholemeal bread
- 150 grams/1 orange
- 150 grams/1 apple
- 10 almonds or pistachios
- Coffee, tea or sugar-free infusion
- Vegetable soup
- 100 grams of fish fillet with herbs from Provinces
- 200 grams of steamed potatoes seasoned with parsley and nutmeg
- 1 Greek yogurt