Health

Breastfeeding May Lower Women’s Risk of a Heart Attack and Stroke

If you are breastfeeding your baby, we have good news for you.

The latest research shows that breastfeeding can reduce the risk of a heart disease and stroke.

For that purpose, researchers examined data from nearly 289, 573 women in China from 30 to 79 years of age. Factors like the history of childhood and medical history were taken into consideration. Nearly 97 percent of them breastfed their babies and the other 3 percent didn’t. These women were monitored for eight years. The researchers’ conclusion was that moms who had breastfed were rated low on heart disease risk. To be more precise, they were about 10 percent less likely to experience heart disease and stroke during the research period, unlike moms who never breastfed.

This study, which was published in the Journal of the American Heart Association, still cannot prove for certain that breastfeeding lowers the risk of heart disease and stroke. But, one thing is for sure that breastfeeding does improve women’s cardiovascular health.

Further analysis is needed in order to examine this matter more thoroughly and assert whether these findings are applied to women from other countries as well. Although, it is necessary to mention that Chinese women breastfeed their children for longer period of time than women from the United States. Another study in the United States has shown that women who breastfed their babies for at least two years were less likely to develop coronary heart disease.

Additionally, previous studies have shown that women who breastfeed experience weight loss faster, have lower blood pressure and lower cholesterol levels.

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, breastfeeding for at least six months is highly recommended, considering the fact that breast milk is the only source of food for the baby during this period. After this period, mothers should continue breastfeeding their babies until 1 year of age.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top