What chocolate cravings are often times associated with, is women and their period, and they can often time indicate some health issues or deficiency of some minerals.
Chocolate cravings can be an indicator of magnesium deficiency, and there are millions of people that experience this type of problem. According to a study that was published in 2008, as much as 50 percent of the American population, did not get the recommended amounts of magnesium. In case you are wondering why these people are not getting enough magnesium, you should know that there are a number of reasons for that. Some of them are:
- Eating excessive amount of processed foods that contain no nutritional values
- Even in cases where people eat whole foods, they contain pesticides that reduce the levels of magnesium in the soil
- Often times stress can be the main reason behind the sudden reduction of magnesium levels in the body
- Excessive consumption of sugar can cause the body to use more and more magnesium in order to process the sugar
- Antibiotics and birth control pills can deplete the magnesium reserves in the body
Signs of magnesium deficiency
You need to remember that in case you are suffering from health complications, it can be because the levels of magnesium in your body are low. The most common signs of magnesium deficiency are fatigue, headaches, depression, muscle spasms or cramps, anxiety, insomnia and high blood pressure.
Sources of magnesium
One of the best sources of magnesium is chocolate, and just one ounce of dark chocolate contains 41 milligrams of magnesium. Other sources are:
- Fruits: strawberries, bananas, figs, grapefruit, and avocado
- Seeds: pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds, and sunflower seeds contain high amounts of magnesium
- Beans: pinto, black and kidney beans
- Fish meat is also a great source of magnesium and omega 3 fatty acids
- Nuts: pecans, brazil nuts, and almonds are all great sources of this important mineral
- Dark leafy greens: You need to eat spinach, kale, collard greens, or Swiss chard every day because they contain magnesium and some other nutrients that will improve your overall health.
Other ways to boost your levels of magnesium
You need to avoid eating sugars at all costs, but this is easier said than done because sugar is contained in so many products, that range from salad dressings to beauty products. But, if you cut down on sugar, you will be able to regenerate the levels of magnesium in your body, and you will feel much fresher, energized, and you will also be able to lose weight.
- Take magnesium supplements, but make sure that you choose supplements of high quality, because the others contain artificial fillers that are not good for your health.
- Prepare yourself a bath with magnesium flakes, because this type of magnesium comes from the sea, and it is very beneficial and it can be absorbed through our skin.
- Cacao beans are one of the best sources of magnesium, so you can add raw cacao to your recipes. Prepare an avocado pudding with honey and raw cacao, which is packed with magnesium and delicious.