Avocados are one of the healthiest fruits on the planet, and people have been consuming them for centuries. They are native to Mexico, and one of the oldest samples found date back to 10 000 BC.
They belong to the same family as cinnamon and camphor, and they grow on trees that can reach 6 feet in height. Avocados ripen a week or two after picking.
These fruits are packed with nutrients like magnesium, zinc, calcium, potassium, iron, manganese and vitamins B, C, K and E. Avocados contain more potassium than bananas and 23 percent of the recommended daily dose of folate. Folate can support the health of our cardiovascular system and greatly reduce the risk of stroke.
Health benefits of avocados:
- They are packed with polyphenols and flavonoids that contain anti-inflammatory properties.
- They are high in glutathione, which can decelerate the process of aging.
- Avocados are packed with folate, which can lower the risk of heart issues, stroke, and neural tube defects.
- They contain fiber which can regulate the blood sugar, aid weight loss and help the process of digestion.
- By regularly consuming avocados, you provide your body with a healthy amount of lycopene and beta-carotene.
- Avocados contain high amounts of oleic acid, which can prevent the growth of oral cancer cells and prostate cancer.
- You can apply avocado oil topically, and that will nourish your skin and can also treat skin conditions like psoriasis.
- Avocados contain high amounts of beta-sitosterol, which can reduce the levels of triglycerides and LDL cholesterol in your blood. They can also prevent the accumulation of fat in the arteries.
- Avocados contain a high amount of lutein, a very potent and powerful antioxidant that can prevent eye problems like macular degeneration or cataract.
- You can apply avocado extract, combined with some carrier oil, in order to treat symptoms of arthritis.
- Avocados can treat bad breath and cleanse the intestines.
- This fruit contains glutathione, which has the ability to prevent damage to the DNA, and free radical damage, thus preventing diseases and chronic conditions, and in some cases, even cancer.
By regularly consuming this healthy fruit, you can experience numerous health benefits. You can add avocados to your smoothies, or you can eat them raw.