This is a plant that is available to everyone. Almost all of us have it in our homes, but we don’t know how to properly use it. Plantago Major, is a medicinal plant that can be found in America and Europe.
The name of this plant comes from the Latin, and means “form of foot”, because it has elongated leaves that resemble to the form of a foot.
It is a plant that has similar characteristics to dandelion and it is most commonly used through infusions. But its leaves can also be included in dishes as stews or soups. It has tons of healing properties because it contains high amounts of flavonoids, nutrients and fibers, which are very beneficial for our overall health.
Flavonoids are extremely useful because they can act as antioxidants. This plant also contains acids like oleanolic acid, caffeic acid, citric acid and salicylic acid. It also contains sugars like fructose and sucrose and high amounts of water.
This plant also contains proteins, but they are mostly concentrated in the seeds. It is packed with vitamins C, B1 and K, and it also contains high doses of minerals like silicon, magnesium, zinc, manganese and calcium.
How does this herb benefit us?
Because of all the properties that we mentioned above, this plant can act as antibiotic, depurative, astringent, antiseptic, emollient, antihemorrhagic and anti-inflammatory.
This is a truly amazing plant that contains all these benefits, and we can grow it in our own garden. Some of the health benefits that it provides are:
- Heals wounds – this plant can relieve insect bites and can heal your wounds. Just take some leaves, wash and cut them and then apply them on the area that is infected by the injury. In order to make it more effective, cover it with a bandage.
- Improves digestion – this plant is ideal for people that are suffering from digestive problems, or are allergic to some foods. The leaves from this plant will help repair intestinal flora and they will reduce stomach inflammation.
- Relieve hemorrhoids – the astringent properties of this plant will help you relieve hemorrhoid discomfort. You can take processed leaves and water, in order to prepare an ointment that can be applied directly on the hemorrhoids to stop the bleeding and relieve the pain.
- It purifies the blood – it is a natural blood purifier, which is able to relieve the symptoms of mercury poisoning. Furthermore, it relieves premenstrual symptoms and diarrhea.
- Relieves symptoms of cystitis
- Combats rheumatism
- Speeds up the process of recovery of angina and flu
- It has satiating effect, which is beneficial for people that make diets in order to lose weight
- Reduces intestinal inflammation
- Eliminates uric acid
- Relieves toothache
- Relieves bladder and kidney related problems