Left-handed people make up about 10% of the world population.
The main reason behind this phenomenon is still unknown. However, the researchers believe that there is a direct link between environmental interactions and human genes. Left-handed people most often have more left-handed family members.
Scientists believe that lefties tend to be more independent than right-handed people.
Here are some interesting facts about left-handed people. You will be surprised by some of them.
- The term ”left” comes from Kentish and northern English forms of Old English ”lyft” which meant ”broken” or ”weak.”
- Statistics show that there are about 30 million left-handed people in the United States.
- August 13 is the international Left-Handers Day.
- Interestingly enough, animals can be left-pawed or right-pawed.
- Believe it or not, 1 in 4 Apollo astronauts were left-handed.
- The left hemisphere controls the right-handed side of the body and the right hemisphere controls the left-handed side of the body. So, right-brained people are often left-handed.
- Left-handedness tend to run in families. For example, Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, and Prince William, were all lefties.
- The majority of Americans are left-handed.
- Several notorious serial killers in human history were lefties like Osama Bin Laden, Boston Stranglers, and Jack the Ripper.
- Right-handed reach puberty 5 months earlier.
- Left-handed people are talented and very creative.
- Scientists have discovered that lefties can use the right hand more quickly when their left hand has been injured. Unlike that, right-handed people are not able to do that.
- Lefties are very good at maths. They are interested in architecture and their spatial reasoning is highly developed.
- Boxing, swimming, baseball, and tennis are their favorite sports.
- Women who give birth in the 40s are more likely to give birth to a left-hander.
- Statistics show that about 40% of the tennis players are lefties which enables them many advantages.
- Left-handedness is associated with asthma and allergies.
- Can you believe that they see more clearly underwater than right-handed people?
- They often have sleep disorders.
- There was a study which showed that left-handed people are more likely to become alcohol addicted.
- They have faster connections between the right and left hemisphere of the brain, so they are able to process information more quickly.