A healthy, golden spice, turmeric contains a substance called curcumin. This substance has proven to have some great health benefits. Those who like to use healthy ways to treat ailments may want to check out turmeric’s health benefits.
According to Consumerlab.com, in order to get useful amounts of curcumin, turmeric extract is really what you want to take as it is far more concentrated. You can also add turmeric to your diet by adding this spice to your your cooking or making a tea. Here are 6 ways turmeric might benefit you.
1. Manage cholesterol. According to WebMD, turmeric extract may be able to help lower cholesterol in people who are overweight. The recommendation is to take it two times a day for three months.
2. Manage pain. For those who suffer from osteoarthritis, turmeric extract appears to work as well as ibuprofen in relieving the pain and discomfort.
3. Reduce itchy skin. Some people who suffer from long-term kidney disease may also have a problem with itchy skin. WebMD reports that turmeric extract taken orally three times a day for eight weeks has helped reduce the itchiness of the skin.
4. Control irritable bowel syndrome. Some people claim that the curcumin in turmeric helps reduce the discomfort of IBS. Medical News Today gives a recipe for turmeric tea you can try. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder and let it simmer for 10 minutes. You can add some raw honey and milk for additional flavor.
5. Stop wound odor. WebMD says that turmeric ointment may help stop the odor and itching that come with certain types of wounds caused by cancer. Daily Health Post makes an ointment out of 1 ounce turmeric powder, 2 ounces neem oil, 1 ounce coconut oil, 1 ounce lemon juice and 10 drops tea tree oil. Mix the ingredients thoroughly and place in a jar. Apply the ointment to the wounds and let it sit for 20 minutes before cleaning it off. Be aware that turmeric stains.
6. Relieve an upset stomach. Taking turmeric extract by mouth four times a day for a week may also help relieve dyspepsia. If you feel like taking it in in the form of a drink, you can make “Golden Milk.” Wellness Mama combines 2 cups of coconut milk, 1 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon raw honey or maple syrup, a pinch of black pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper in a blender and mixes well. Pour it in a pan to heat and then drink it.