Turmeric is becoming more and more popular ingredient and there is a good reason for it.
Curcumin, the most active compound of turmeric, has powerful health benefits. According to the studies from the National Library of Medicine’s bibliographic database, turmeric has more than 600 medicinal properties.
Turmeric improves your overall health, but you should also know these things.
Turmeric’s main compound is not easy to absorb
Animal and clinical studies have shown that the concentrations of curcumin in blood plasma, urine, and peripheral tissues are extremely low after consuming it.
How to boost turmeric bioavailability?
- Always mix it with black pepper. Black pepper is a powerful medicinal herb, so when combined with turmeric could prevent many diseases. Even if you add a little pinch of pepper to turmeric, it will significantly promote better health. A study suggested that black pepper increases the bioavailability of curcumin up to 2000%.
2. When healthy fat is combined with turmeric, such as coconut or olive oil, its absorption is optimized. If you eat it with healthy fats, your body will absorb it into the bloodstream through the lymphatic system.
3. Saute pan and warm oil also increase the bioavailability of curcumin. Just heat the oil and add a teaspoon of turmeric to it.
The University of Maryland Medical Center recommends the following dosages:
- Cut root – 1.5 -3 g per day
- Dried powdered root – 1-3 g per day